Ads

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Breakfast Alternative: High-fiber Danish Pancake Balls

My Danish Pancake Balls. Yummy!
My kids are picky-eaters and planning their daily menu is really a challenge. Their usual breakfast is just a bowl of rice cereals or rice with egg, hotdog or chicken nuggets. Of course, this is far from what a complete meal is. 


My 4-year old boy, who is a special child, would only eat food that produces crackling sounds. He also got food allergies and so his diet is very limited. And just like most kids, he doesn't like vegetables too. I have always looked for ways on how to incorporate vegetables and fruits into their diet. It's a hit or miss process. One of the recipes I made that both my kids like is my "High-fiber Danish Pancake Balls". My baby boy is also fascinated with round things, so these little spherical delights are just perfect to raise his interest. 



"Danish Pancake Balls" (called Aebleskiver in Danish) is basically pancakes shaped into balls or little spheres. In US, they call it "Pancake Puffs". It tastes like a pancake but has a lighter texture. To make these little delights, one needs to have a Dutch Pancake Maker/Moulder (see photo). It's what they also use in making those delicious Takoyaki in Japan (I'll post my Takoyaki recipe here later).


My Danish Pancake Maker. This is also what they use to
 make the Japanese streetfood, Takoyaki.


I used a basic pancake recipe but added grated vegetables to make it more nutritious. To add more fibre, I added psyllium. I think this is available in drugstores and health stores. Psyllium offers a lot of health benefits. It provides fibre to our diet, helps lower cholesterol production in the liver, and regulates blood sugar levels. To know more about the health benefits of psyllium, click here. I also use brown sugar in most of my recipes instead of white sugar coz it has more nutrients.


If psyllium fibre is not available in your area, you can use instant oatmeal instead. Here's my recipe.


HIGH-FIBER DANISH PANCAKE BALLS

Ingredients:


2 cups all purpose flour
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
2 cups evaporated milk (or fresh milk)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup grated sayote 
1/4 cup grated carrots
2 teaspoon psyllium fiber 




Procedure:


Step 1
In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and psyllium fibre. 
Make a well in the center and add the milk. 


Step 2
Add the eggs, melted butter and vanilla. 




Step 3
Stir/mix all ingredients until smooth. Slowly add the water to the mixture. 


Step 4
Add the grated vegetables. You can use any vegetable you like. 
For this recipe, I used sayote and carrots.


Step 5
Pre-heat your Danish pancake maker. Moisten a piece of tissue paper with cooking oil.
Oil the molder to prevent your pancakes from sticking to the mold.


Step 6
When the pancake maker is hot enough, fill each lobe/cup with the pancake mixture.


Step 7
As soon as the mixtures becomes bubbly and turns opaque around the edges,
turn the pancake halfway using a toothpick or barbecue stick. Let the mixture flow out of the shell into the moulder to cook.


Step 8
Rotate the pancakes after a few seconds to continue forming the shell. 
You may need to make about 3 to 4 quarter turns until you form a ball.
Continue turning the balls to prevent them from burning. Continue turning them until they are golden brown and cooked through. Take the cooked pancake balls out from the moulder and transfer to a serving plate.


These balls, when cooked are hollow inside. Some add cheese, chocolate, sliced hotdogs or any filling of choice to the mixture before turning them in the moulder. I made mine without filling because my kids prefer these plain. Or you may break these open when cooked and fill the cavity with your favorite fruit jam. You may also sprinkle some confectioners sugar on these before serving. It is best to serve these while hot. You may serve this for breakfast instead of the usual buttered toast, or as a mid-afternoon snack. 


My Danish pancake balls. Before they collapsed. (^-^)

Try out this healthy snack recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment