Ads

Monday, June 4, 2012

Income Opportunities for Stay-at-Home Moms

Flavored Chocolates Mini-boxes for Valentines
Let's face it. Most stay-at-home moms wish that they are earning too. I myself, don't want to be a burden to my spouse. I want to have my own money so I can buy my personal stuff like my kikay kits, make-up, clothes and shoes (I so loooooove shoes!). And pay for my weekly pedicure with my own money. After all,  when we are done with our mommy duties, we have enough time to watch afternoon telenovelas. We might as well put it to good use. 


So what income-generating options are there for us?



TURNING HOBBIES INTO CASH
Actually, we have so many options we just don't realize it. First, ask yourself: Do I have special skills? Talents? Hobbies? You just may turn that hobby or talent into an income-generating venture. 


Do you know how to bake? You can accept orders for cakes, cookies and other baked goodies. Baking is one of my passions and I was able to get some orders for cakes and cookies from relatives and friends during birthdays and holidays. 


Do you know how to use any image-editing programs like Photoshop? You can make party invitations or personalized photo albums for your friends. If you reside near a school, you can also accept some typing jobs or offer printing services for the students' projects. 


Are you artistic and creative? You may try to do some art stuff and sell it online. I know a friend who is good in making special souvenir items. She earns from making personalized party giveaways for friends and neighbors. And she does it right in her own home.  Another friend is also into accessories-making like earrings, bracelets and necklaces. She sells it to other moms in her child's school. 


Find out what you are good at and turn it into a business. You may even let your little ones help you make your products. It can be a family-bonding activity! My 5-year old daughter is my happy-helper when I make my baked goodies. 


Some of my cake creations...
Birthday Cake for my niece

Christmas-themed Carrot Cake. I made these as giveaways.
Per request from my Mom
My daughter Naya's Princess Birthday Cake


ONLINE SELLING
If you do not have a natural market in your neighborhood, you may try to sell your products online. Social networking sites really helped business-minded people reach a wider market. I used to make personalized molded chocolates and guess what? I got most of my orders through Facebook. I post photos of my products in my Facebook wall and those interested just contact me through private message. 


Facebook is just one of the sites you can use. But some sites like Multiply provides a better platform for easy display of photos of your products, and a system for taking orders. Multiply is like an online shopping mall which connects merchants and shoppers interested in all kinds of products and services. My husband just recently opened a Multiply account for his photography business sideline. Check it out so you will have an idea how Multiply works.


You may also create your own personal blog to set up your online business. Blog sites like Blogger and Wordpress are just some of the platforms you can use. And it's for free too.


Items I sell through my Facebook account

Personalized Photo Keychains

Personalized Chocolate Mini-Bars for Birthday Giveaways

Personalized Candy Lollipops. My bestseller.

TRY RETAILING AND DIRECT SELLING
Don't underestimate your Avon ladies. A lot of them were able to send their kids to school by selling lipstick, make up, toiletries, etc. There are a lot of direct selling companies out their which offers minimum capital requirements below P1,000.00. 

One of the growing retailing business now is the Eload retailing business, especially with the new One-SIM loader that is so popular right now. Everyone seems to have a cellphone. And of course, these need cellphone loads. You can buy a One-SIM loader access card for as low as P250.00. You do not need to buy a new SIM card or multiple SIM cards to be able to sell Eloads for the different networks (Globe, Smart and Sun). Your old and existing SIM card will do. All you need to buy is the access card, and you are good to go. It can sell eloads to the different networks and can also sell eloads to prepaid cable TVs, prepaid broadbands (SmartBro, Globe Tattoo and SUN Broadband), and gaming cards for online games. Some of the companies I know which offers such services are EZloadGPRS, and LoadXtreme


MAINTAIN YOUR CAREER: GET AN ONLINE JOB
Choosing to stay at home and take care of your family does not mean you have to give up your career. If you have your own personal computer at home and a broadband service, getting an online job may be suited for you. There are a lot of internet sites offering online jobs for interested individuals. 


If you are good in writing, you can work as an online technical writer, a web-content researcher, or as a professional blogger. You can also work as an online tutor. Learn how to be an online tutor and start earning income from the comforts of your home.


One of the internet sites I know where you can find an online job is Odesk. Odesk works as an online workplace where the employers can post ads for the type of professionals they are looking for.  "Individual contractors" or freelancers may post their profiles for viewing of possible employers, or respond to ads posted for certain skills/position needed. All transactions including payment of services are done virtually (payments for services rendered is made through PayPal). You may like to visit their site to know more (www.odesk.com). All types of jobs are posted there (graphics designer, online secretary, market researcher, administrative staff, technical writer, and more).


There a lot of other ways for stay-at-home moms to earn income. We just need to be creative, persevere, and make that first step to our financial independence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment